You’re in your early 40’s, you might be wondering how to dress without trying to look too young, but not wanting to appear too old either. While there’s no one style that works for all women over the age of 40, there are some general rules to follow when choosing clothing.
The most important thing to remember is to choose clothing that makes you feel good about yourself, while also flattering your body type.
• Avoid florescent colors and exceptionally bold patterns, as these are very youthful and attention grabbing.
• Add shape-wear undergarments into your wardrobe if you have a flabby mid-section. These will hold you to together and make you appear more firm in those areas.
• Avoid mini-skirts. If you have great legs, you should still show them off by wearing skirts and dresses that touch just above the knee.
• Trade your sleeveless shirts in, unless you have impressively firm biceps. You can also cover up imperfect arms with a cardigan, or a cropped jacket if you still wish to wear sleeveless shirts.
• Dress for your body type, and not to follow the latest fashion trends. Instead of dressing head-to-toe in the latest fashion trends, try to incorporate one element of the current style into your outfit.
• Avoid tight clothing, but don’t start buying overly baggy attire either. Instead, find clothing that fits your body well. Look for cotton and silk materials, rather than polyester, as this material tends to cling tightly to your body.