Children are not a complicated species. They simply need to be understood as does everybody else. Here are ten simple rules I am certain we all would like to see our parents following.
1. My hands are small so please don’t expect perfection whenever I make a bed, draw a picture or throw a ball. Plus my legs are shorter than yours so please slow down in order for me to keep up with you.
2. My eyes have not seen the world the way yours have so please let me explore safely. Try not to restrict me unnecessarily.
3. House work will always be there. I am only a child for a while.
4. My feelings actually exist so please be sensitive to my needs. Don’t nag me all day long thinking I will get over it. Treat me the way you would like to be treated.
5. Hold me accountable for my actions but nobody else’s. Give me guidelines to live by. Try disciplining me without making me feel like I have committed a capital offense.
6. I need your encouragement to grow. Please go easy on the criticism and remember, we all grow and progress at our own rates so if I seem slower that the neighbour’s kid, please do not judge.
7. Please give me the freedom to make my own decisions. Allow me to fail so that I can learn from my mistakes. Then someday I will be prepared to make responsible decisions judging from the mistakes I made earlier.
8. Comparing me to my brother and sister is not an option. Understand that I am my own individual and therefore do not appreciate being told to act like someone else.
9. Please don’t be afraid to leave for a weekend. Kids need a break from parents and that does not mean school and vice versa. Besides, it’s a great way to show us kids that your marriage is rocking!
10. Please take me to Sunday school or church as often as you can. You’ll be setting a good example for me. Kids enjoy learning more about God.
So there you have it parents. Try to know and understand what your children love and let them enjoy childhood while they can. It only comes around once!