Denmark to extradite Genocide fugitive
Denmark has decided to extradite a genocide suspect to Rwanda.
50-year-old Emmanuel Mbarushimana, is accused of killing “many Tutsis” in April and May of 1994 at road blocks, and another group of Tutsis at Kabuye Hill in April 1994.
The victims had been advised to gather at the hill for safety but were instead attacked.
The former inspector of schools in Butare prefecture, now Huye District has been living in the Scandinavian country since 2001.
Mbarushimana has been in the custody of Danish police since his arrest at his home in Zealand region in December 2010.
Speaking to The Sunday Times, John Bosco Siboyintore, the Head of Genocide Fugitive Tracking Unit (GFTU) said that, they requested for his extradition in March this year.
“We have been waiting for the Danish government’s decision and now we are going to follow it up and find out when he will be extradited,” he said.
Since the establishment of GFTU in 2007, the office has issued indictments against 1092 fugitives living in various parts of the world, and some resulted into arrests, especially in European countries.
Of the 1092 files, 132 Indictments and Arrest warrants have been issued in 23 countries and seven Genocide fugitives have been brought to Rwanda to face justice in the last 18 years.
In Africa, many Genocide fugitives live in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Congo Brazaville, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique, Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda.
In Europe, a big number are in France, Belgium, and the Netherlands. Other European countries where fugitives have been identified are theUnited Kingdom, Norway, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, Italy, and Finland.
There are also some in New Zealand, Canada and the U.S.
Contact email: frank.kanyesigye[at]newtimes.co.rw